Femen is to feminism what PETA is to animal rights.
That wacky PETA is at it again.
They’re apparently going to protest the Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm launch party in Irvine tonight, saying that “Zerglings have feelings too”.
Setting aside for the moment that the Zerg are a (mostly) single-minded swarm of Space locusts that overrun every planet in their path…
This is an expansion centered around playing as the Zerg.
As much as I love friendly alien/positive first encounter stories more than evil alien/negative first encounter stories, it sees as though PETA thinks that humans should just keel over and die when faced by giant venomous space insects who are out to kill them.
rofl. Oh man.
I do not understand how people still take PETA seriously at all.
- Getting rid of food deserts and making veganism more affordable for poor people
- Advocating for better working conditions for migrant workers and making their fruits and vegetables “cruelty free”
- Protesting and reforming the meat industry to keep it from harming workers and being less dangerous for consumtion
- Making organic food more affordable
- Giving grants to start vegan restaurants, soup kitchens, etc.
- Educating people on the nutrition of plants so people understand how to go vegan with their individual nutritional needs
- Funding community gardens
- Funding no-kill shelters (in fact, PETA is against no-kill shelters)
Things PETA is doing:
- degrading women and people of color
- renaming fish “sea kittens”
- throwing a hissy fit over Pokemon
I hope everybody knows by now that PETA is an awful bunch of people, but I thought I’d collect some of the reasons together for anyone who doesn’t.
- PETA has a long history of horribly, disturbingly sexist advertisements (warning: that link is disturbing, seriously).
- PETA also has a history of racist jackassery like wearing klan hoods to the Westminster Dog Show and comparing it to the Holocaust. They also put up billboards in Washington D.C. comparing animal cruelty to human slavery and specifically the American enslavement of Africans.
- This one deserves its own bullet point - they actually sued Sea World under the 13th Amendment. The one that outlawed slavery in the U.S. Yeah. They did that.
- And let’s not forget the whole “Holocaust On Your Plate” ad campaign.
- PETA also loooooooooooves fat-shaming. Example - this recent billboard featuring a…meat pie coffin? I think? Suggesting that eating animals makes you (horrors!) fat and also kills you? So go vegan? Bonus offensiveness: they put this up next to a mortuary. See also this whole ad campaign centered on fat-shaming.
- Another recent advertisement claimed that going vegan will send your sex drive into overdrive and you’ll be so potent you’ll actually injure your girlfriend and leave her limping and wearing a neck brace which is awesome and hilarious. I wish I was exaggerating but I’m totally not.
- When a grisly killing spree in Vancouver left 15 women dead, PETA tried to purchase full-page ads in local papers suggesting that this carnage was no worse than the killing of animals for food.
- PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk opposes the use of Seeing Eye dogs and has had at least one dog taken away from its blind owner.
- PETA protests public shelters that euthanize animals, but their own shelter euthanizes most of the animals they take in. Not some. Most.
- PETA is actually right now trying to fight No-Kill legislation in Virginia, because it would prevent their shelter from euthanizing animals.
- PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. PETA paid $70,200 to Rodney Coronado, an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) serial arsonist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory.
- During the past ten years, PETA has spent four times as much on criminals and their legal defense than it has on shelters, spay-neuter programs, and other efforts that actually help animals.
- Right here, from the actual PETA website, is their stance on extremist animal liberation groups that commit arson and violently harass medical researchers: Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law in order to fight injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are both examples of people breaking the law in order to combat injustice…Anyone can be an activist. It does not take any special skills or superhuman abilities. You just need to care enough about animals to want to help them.”
FUCK YOU PETA, JUST FUCK YOU
PeTA can eat a whole big bag of shit.
It’s like they’re actively looking for ways to make people hate them even more now.
Tell PETA Violence Against Women is Never Okay.
PETA launched a new campaign encouraging people to go Vegan by promoting violence against women. Violence in any form is never okay.
In its latest ploy to correlate being vegan with sex, PETA has over stepped every line in a campaign that would make anyone cringe. The campaign is called: BWVAKTBOOM: “Boyfriend Went Vegan and Knocked the Bottom out of Me.” Appropriately titled for a series of advertisements that not only display [without any trigger warnings], but highlight and romanticize sexual violence against women. In its latest ad, PETA portrays a disheveled and physically & sexually battered woman who is the “latest victim” of a boyfriend who went vegan and then “knocked the bottom out of her”. She is seen with bruises all over her body and even has to wear a neck-brace.
PETA further proves its ignorance around violence against women by boasting a new website for the BWVAKTBOOM campaign where videos can be readily viewed, and there is a [intended-to-be] humorous “call” to prevent BWVAKTBOOM-related injuries. Violent messages are sent, such as:
“For years, women have been open to the physical, emotional, and karmic benefits of veganism. But now, more and more men are discovering the perks of a plant-based diet. More specifically, a dramatic increase in their wang power and sexual stamina.
Unfortunately, the consequences of all this mind-blowing intercourse can often lead to sex injuries such as whiplash, pulled muscles, rug burn, and even a dislocated hip.”
PETA has clearly overlooked any regard for survivors of sexual and domestic violence in this new campaign, while making a mockery out of the seriousness of violence against women.
In taking a stand that there is NEVER an excuse to promote or diminish the real-life impact of violence, I demand the full termination of the BWVAKTBOOM campaign.