You just don’t understand why people hate on vegans so much.
Is it really a bad thing that we care about animals, humans, and the planet all at the same time?
I can think of several reasons why people hate vegans off the top of my head:
- Their ignorance of the fact that vegan food is picked by dirt-poor people in horrible working conditions - many of which are people of color and/or children - and thus is not cruelty-free at all. Way to care more about animals than people and nice implicit racism, there.
- Their ignorance of the fact that not everyone can afford vegan food because that shit is expensive - my mother makes and sends up Morningstar meat for me from Georgia, and she has to buy it in bulk weeks in advance when it’s on sale and freeze it because it’s too pricey normally. Food deserts exist. It’s a privilege to be able to afford these things. There’s several posts on this vegan blog about how hard vegan products are to find, ironically - but what poor person has the transportation to bypass multiple grocery stores in search of these things? Or who has the energy to after working all day at a minimum wage job to do more than boil a couple hodogs or buy some KFC and call it a damn day? Have some classism.
- Ignoring that some people simply cannot maintain a vegan diet for whatever health or dietary reasons. There are medical conditions that make being vegan highly difficult if not impossible depending on what the body needs. So we can tally up a serving of body-shaming, concern trolling, and ableism with your assumptions that you know better than people what their bodies need.
- The raging racism in constant comparisons of eating meat to either the Holocaust or slavery. I shouldn’t even need to explain why it’s dehumanizing to compare people to animals period let alone mass genocide and centuries of oppression, violence, murder, kidnapping, lynching, rape, and abuse - the repercussions of which we’re still dealing with today - to having a cheeseburger. Stop.
- Just plain not being able to shut the fuck up about it. We have sexism/racism/heterosexism/cissexism/ableism other shit to deal with - stuff that affects, you know, people - to give a shit about your damn diet. The sad thing is that you could actually be doing something useful with your food beliefs - like focusing your attention on the industries themselves that perpetuate animal cruelty or at the people who market their vegan food at such high and inaccessible prices.
Instead of combating either institutional issues with food production or changing the shitty ways you discuss/advocate for veganism, you act like you’re morally superior and judge the fuck out of people.
And that’s why everyone hates you.
Window Display of the Day: Jacqueline Traide, a 24-year-old performance artist, recently volunteered for a starring role she won’t soon forget: 10 hours of torture — cosmetics testing — in a Lush Cosmetics window display. The shocking performance, during which thousands of London passersby witnessed Jacqueline being roughly manhandled and administered to by a “lab technician,” was meant to draw attention to the pain and cruelty inflicted on animals during lab tests for beauty products.
Dressed in nothing but a flesh-colored body stocking, Jacqueline and her counterpartre-enacted widely used tests. She was given injections and had her skin abraded and smothered in lotions and potions, then endured eye irritants and having a strip of her hair shaved off on one of Britain’s busiest streets.
“I hope it will plant the seed of a new awareness in people to really start thinking about what they go out and buy and what goes into producing it,” Jacqueline said.
Woah woah woah, the whole article on the Daily Mail has such horrifying pictures of the event. Absolutely brutal. But that’s how you have to get the message across these days, to get anyone to care. ‘Shocking or gtfo’. Very effective. I applaud this woman’s passion for the cause.
Beagles, released from research labs for the first time in their lives. First time seeing the sun, walking on grass, and interacting with one another.
Beagles are the most commonly used breed of dog for lab testing. Millions of others wont be this lucky. It’s amazing that after being locked in steel cages for their ENTIRE lives, all they want is affection. The fact that they still trust anyone is mind blowing. It just proves how good natured they naturally are. Using them for experiments that have NO USE whatsoever is despicable & how the people behind them live with themselves is a mystery. Now excuse me while I go hug my dog for ten minutes.
Even if you’re not vegetarian - there is no excuse to use products that have been tested on animals.
Bawling my eyes out
Their little faces when their cages are open and they see the grass, oh gosh.
Chimps held in research lab for 30 years finally see the light