This is honest to God (Haha, Irony) curiosity, not an attack or anything, and I’d like to remain anon. How is Jesus saying that all the past laws are invalid bullshit?
Because Jesus makes it ABUNDANTLY clear in many passages that all of the old laws still apply. This is an excerpt from a website called evilbible.com. While this is, admittedly, a biased site. Nevertheless, the passages are there for everyone to see.
1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.
2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. ”It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17 NAB)
3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. ”Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17 NAB)
3b) “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness…” (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)
3c) “Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God.” (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)
4) Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark.7:9-13 ”Whoever curses father or mother shall die” (Mark 7:10 NAB)
5) Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” (Matthew 15:4-7)
6) Jesus has a punishment even worse than his father concerning adultery: God said the act of adultery was punishable by death. Jesus says looking with lust is the same thing and you should gouge your eye out, better a part, than the whole. The punishment under Jesus is an eternity in Hell. (Matthew 5:27)
7) Peter says that all slaves should “be subject to [their] masters with all fear,” to the bad and cruel as well as the “good and gentle.” This is merely an echo of the same slavery commands in the Old Testament. 1 Peter 2:18
8) “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,…” (John 1:17).
9) “…the scripture cannot be broken.” —Jesus Christ, John 10:35
Being surely put to death is surely the best punishment for ALL THE THINGS!!!
- A wife is a man’s property: You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. Exodus 20:17
- Daughters can be bought and sold: If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. Exodus 21:7
- A raped daughter can be sold to her rapist: 28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives. Deuteronomy 22:28-29
- Collecting wives and sex slaves is a sign of status: He [Solomon] had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. 1 Kings 11:3
- Used brides deserve death: If, however the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. Deuteronomy 22:20-21.
- Women, but only virgins, are to be taken as spoils of war: Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man. Numbers 31:17-18
- Menstruating women are spiritually unclean:19 “‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening. 20 “‘Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, … 30 The priest is to sacrifice one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement for her before the LORD for the uncleanness of her discharge. 31 “‘You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place,[a] which is among them.’” Leviticus 15: 19-31
- A woman is twice as unclean after giving birth to girl as to a boy: A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. ’ 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding. 6 ” ‘When the days of her purification for a son or daughter are over, she is to bring to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting a year-old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a dove for a sin offering. Leviticus 12: 1-8
- A woman’s promise is binding only if her father or husband agrees: 2 When a man makes a vow to the LORD or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said. 3 “When a young woman still living in her father’s household makes a vow to the LORD or obligates herself by a pledge 4 and her father hears about her vow or pledge but says nothing to her, then all her vows and every pledge by which she obligated herself will stand. 5 But if her father forbids her when he hears about it, none of her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand; the LORD will release her because her father has forbidden her… . . A woman’s vow is meaningless unless approved by her husband or father. But if her husband nullifies them when he hears about them, then none of the vows or pledges that came from her lips will stand. Her husband has nullified them, and the LORD will release her. 13 Her husband may confirm or nullify any vow she makes or any sworn pledge to deny herself. Numbers 30:1-16
- Women should be seen not heard: Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 1 Corinthians 14:34
- Wives should submit to their husband’s instructions and desires: Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Colossians 3:18
- In case you missed that submission thing … : Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22-24.
- More submission – and childbearing as a form of atonement: A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety. 1 Timothy 2: 11-15
- Women were created for men: For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head. 7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:2-10
- Sleeping with women is dirty: No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. 4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as first-fruits to God and the Lamb. Revelation 14:3-4
Such a loving god.
OMFG OUT OF CONTEXT. YOU HAVE TO READ TEH WHOLE BIBUL. IT WAS THE CULTURE OF THE TIME. HJKHLDFJKGHLDKJG
I love how Christians suddenly become wishy-washy liberals when these parts of the Bible come up.
Yeah and then they claim that we should base our morality on the Bible and ask where atheists get our morality from.
My question is if morality comes from god and the Bible is how he communicated that morality to us, what moral principles are we mere mortals supposed to use to determine which parts of the Bible to ignore?
Slavery is bad because it’s bad, not because the Bible says it’s bad. In fact the Bible is totally cool with slavery.
Misogyny is bad because it’s bad, not because the Bible says it’s bad. In fact the Bible is totally cool with mysogyny.
Genocide is bad because it’s bad, not because the Bible says it’s bad. In fact god ordered numerous horrific genocides.
Human sacrifice is bad because it’s bad, not because the Bible says it’s bad. Ever read the story of Jephthah? (Judges 11:31-39)
- There was one angel present. Matt 28:2
- There were two angels present. John 20:11-12
- There was a young man present. Mark 16:5
- There were two men present. Luke 24:4
- The angel rolled the stone away from the tomb. Matt 28:2
- The stone was already rolled away from the tomb. Luke 24:2, John 20:1, Mark 16:4
- Mary and Mary Magdalene found the body was missing. Matt 28:1, Luke 24:1-3
- Simon Peter and an unnamed disciple found the body was missing. John 20:6-7
- Mary, Mary Magdalene, and Salome found the body was missing. Mark 16:1-8
- Mary and Mary Magdalene told the disciples what they saw. Matt 28:8, Luke 24:9
- Mary, Mary Magdalene, and Salome told no one what they saw. Mark 16:8
- Mary Magdalene told Simon Peter and an unnamed disciple what they saw. John 20:1-2
- Jesus appeared first to Mary Magdalene in the tomb. John 20:10-18
- Jesus appeared first to Mary Magdalene after she left the tomb. Mark 16:9
- Jesus appeared first to Mary and Mary Magdalene outside of the tomb. Matt 28:8-10
- Jesus appeared first to Cleopas and Simon on the road to Emmaus. Luke 24:13-35
Three shelves of Bibles. Three shelves of the exact same book with different color packaging.
Two shelves of Science books, and nearly half of them are Complete Idiot’s Guides to whatever science they’re about.
One shelf for all of Astronomy and Physics.
Not quite one shelf of Philosophy.
And what about Darwin’s Origin of Species? Out of stock.
If you don’t understand the problem with this, then you are the problem.
The Bible knew before science.
I like this
They are really stretching some of these bible verses to come up with these. Or downright lying.
By the way, I tried to make a similar chart of things that science now knows with irrefutable evidence that is contrary to what the Bible reads, but Photoshop doesn’t allow me to make a file that big.
If you insist your beliefs are true, why can’t you be honest about the evidence?
Yep, this is a fucking joke. I scrolled through so many notes going, “Omg, my mind is completely blown! Take that, non-bible-believers! This is PROOF OF GOD ZOMG!11!” Aggressive ignorance strikes again.
Put the Bible on your summer reading list.
I…just…it’s the 21st century. Why is this HAPPENING? Argh. I’d better stop looking at pro-life related stuff, I’m getting way too angry.