It’s still bigotry
I do not believe it is possible for someone to oppose same-sex marriage and not be a bigot. The denial of rights is inherently hateful. Saying I am better than you is hateful. Saying you aren’t quite a fully deserving human, but a lower caste member deserving of second-class citizenship is hateful. Saying my religion tells me to do this so I don’t care what your religion says, I’m going to make you follow my religion’s rules is inherently hateful. Saying love is wrong is hateful.
This is a big issue in New Zealand at the moment, and every morning when I read the opinion section of the paper, I nearly barf up my Special K at all the homophobes and religious zealots that I naiively didn’t expect to have in NZ. This is an important reminder. There IS no middle ground.
Unless you are poor, brown, female, Jewish, or gay.
I’m not gonna tag this Disney cuz that’s rude, but I’m not into the Walt Disney worship I see here on Tumblr, or in real life. The man was a racist and sexist bigot who designed Disney Land as a tribute to a pastoral version of America that never existed. He placed it in Anaheim, where minorities who were too poor and marginalized in Southern California to, by and large, afford cars could not get to it, and instructed admissions employees to discourage them from coming. He refused to hire black or brown people except one woman who was forced to perform in near-minstrel capacity as Aunt Jemima in the Aunt Jemima Pancake House on Orleans Street. He also was a public supporter of some of the most vile anti-Semites in America.
You can talk about modern Disney and all the progress its made from these frankly nauseating beginnings, but holding Walt Disney up as some champion of individuality, self-expression, and self-esteem is a damn lie. He only wanted you to be yourself if you were white and middle class.
Quite a guy, old Uncle Walt
(he also sold out a bunch of his striking employees to Joseph McCarthy)
While the Disney Company has progressed from when Walt Disney ran it, its not all that progressive. The company is still incredibly racist, sexist, etc.
My Atheist Anger is Valid.
It is not a symptom of a my beliefs (or lack there of).
My atheism does not make have a lack of moral compass.
In fact, it is my strong moral beliefs that are rooted in my very being that has caused my atheist anger.
I am angry that…
- Only 48% of Americans would vote for atheists
- 1961 was the year that atheists were legally able to sit on a jury, testify in court or hold public office in every single state
- Atheists are denied custody of children based on their atheism
- Atheists in Iran that have to blog anonymously for fear of being murdered
- School boards are fighting to teach evolution, using time, money and resources they don’t have
- Science teachers in public schools don’t teach evolution, it even though it is the basis for biology and required by the curriculum
- People are dying of AIDS because the church tells them condoms are wrong
- Religion tells women to submit to husbands even when they are being beating within an inch of their lives
- Reincarnation is used to justify the caste system in India, telling people that their poverty their fault
- Children are terrorized with horrible images of hell so they won’t question or stray from the religion
- Religion teaches children to hate and fear their bodies and their sexuality
- Religion teaches girls to hate their femaleness and that they are less than their male counterparts
- Religion teaches queer children to hate their queerness
- In Polygamist cults, 13 year old girls are told they will go to hell if don’t marry who they are told by their church
- In mainstream religion, women are told they will be tormented in hell if don’t marry, have many children, and serve their husband
- In Salt Lake City 40% of homeless children are gay and have been kicked out of home
- In public schools, atheist students can’t organize clubs and are stonewalled
- A muslim girl in public school was told by her teacher that if she wasn’t saved there was no place for her in his classroom
- Priest RAPE children, telling them that its God’s Will, permanently hindering that human being from functioning normally for the rest of their life
- The Catholic Church protects these priests, and protect the reputation of the Church over the children
- 9/11, and that after anyone believed to muslim were tormented
- Little girls getting their clitorises cut off because religion says so, and those who defend the religion saying it’s misinterpretation and don’t defend the children
- Religion supports Honor Killings, Muslim women who are raped can be killed for adultery
- A 9 year old girl who was raped and had an abortion, her parents, and the doctors who preformed it, were excommunicated from the church, not the man who raped her
- Children die because parents believe in faith healing or that medicine will anger their god, and these parents cannot be persecuted
- Religious leaders use their power to manipulate and take advantage of their followers
- That I have to know more about their religon than they do to validate my non-belief in it, and when I can use that knowledge against the religion they can blame it on misinterpretation
- Atheists who criticize religion are called bigoted simply for saying “I don’t agree with you”
- That when addressing the offenses of religion, someone can say “that’s not the true faith” and assume that makes it okay
This is not all the reasons that I am angry with religion.
I am angry that my anger with religion is taken as a sign that there is something wrong with me and my beliefs, rather than that maybe I have valid reasons for my anger with religion.
My Atheism does not mean I have no moral compass. Many, if not all, of my problems with religion are for offenses, not done to me, but to done to others.
My anger tells me that there is something wrong with what has and is being done.
I will not remove the anger from my atheism.
I Am A Proud Angry Athiest.
MOTHER FUCKING THIS