LET THAT SINK IN
imagine if we allocated just one year of our military budget to
improving our nations infrastructure
our education system
We’d have Starfleet soon if it went to NASA
Is Racism The Only Thing Keeping Our Soldiers Fighting?
Dorothy’s inspiration for Casualties of War stemmed from the personal hell soldiers live through after the war. Her creative idea captures the stories we don’t often hear about: their unimaginable suffering.
- Country: We don't want your help.
- America: Yes you do.
- Country: No, seriously. It's not that simple. Don't help because you'll make it worse.
- America: We're sending our military over.
15 Facts About Military Spending That Will Make Your Head Explode
1. America spends more on its military than the next 15 countries combined,
2. By 2033 the U.S. will be paying $59 billion a year to its veterans injured in the wars.
3. In 2007, the amount of money labeled ‘wasted’ or ‘lost’ in Iraq — $11 billion — could pay 220,000 teachers salaries.
4. America’s defense spending doubled in the same period that its economy shrunk from 32 to 23 percent of global output.
5. The yearly cost of stationing one soldier in Iraq could feed 60 American families.
6. Defense spending is higher today than at any time since the height of World War II.
7. The total known land area occupied by U.S. bases and facilities is 15,654 square miles — bigger than D.C., Massachusetts, and New Jersey combined.
8. Each day in Afghanistan costs the government more than it did to build the entire Pentagon.
9. In 2008, the Pentagon spent more money every five seconds in Iraq than the average American earned in a year.
10. The pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue.
11. Two decades after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Defense Department still has more than 40 generals, admirals or civilian equivalents based in Europe.
12. The amount the government has spent compensating radiation victims of nuclear testing ($1.5 billion) could fully educate 13,000 American kids.
13. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.
14. The U.S. has 5% of the world’s population — but almost 50% of the world’s total military expenditure.
15. The US. must spend a full 1 percent of its GDP just to maintain its arsenal.
Nearly 20 percent of the more than 2 million troops who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have been left with mental health conditions .. (Ref)
Saw this picture on imgur and just had to post it here, because this is without a doubt, one of the most badass women alive. Meet Katrina Hodge, a corporal in the British Army and Miss England 2009. According to Wikipedia, she enlisted back in 2004 after her brother challenged her to and earned the nickname “Combat Barbie” after showing up at her assigned unit wearing false eyelashes, kitten heels (whatever those are) and carry a pink suitcase. In 2005 her unit, the Royal Anglian Regiment, was deployed to Iraq, where she saved the lives of her comrades from a prisoner by wrestling not one, but two rifles from him and then knocking his ass out with her bare hands.
With her bare hands.
Then in 2009, she decided to compete in the Miss England competition to destroy stereotypes about women in the military. She didn’t win (she placed runner-up), but still became Miss England after the woman who did got into a fight and gave up the crown. While Miss England, Hodge convinced the people running the competition to ditch the bikini contest, because she felt that it was more important to be a role model than looking good in a bikini.
In 2010, she handed over the crown and returned to military service, being deployed to Afghanistan.
This woman is both a BAMF and a HBIC. Damn.
Maltreated Children Show Same Pattern of Brain Activity as Combat Soldiers
Jon Stewart’s da man.
Not just the pictures, but the sounds of crying and screaming in terror. The smells…
My boyfriend had this to say: Censorship. It’s what keeps wars going. In Vietnam they showed a lot of raw detail, which helped end the war due to people’s disgust. The US learnt it’s lesson from Vietnam, and That’s why it’s no longer shown on TV.
I had this to say: fucking fucking fucking war-mongerers.