The ladies of The Talk did a no-makeup show today, which made us happier than humanly decent.
you see this?
it’s called a razor
if you’re a girl, USE IT
your hairy legs and armpits aren’t cute okay
you’re not helping out for woman’s rights or anything
YOU’RE JUST MAKING YOURSELF LOOK NASTY
Women have been socialized to believe that they must remove hair for a number of reasons, primarily the following:
- hair is historically and Biblically associated with power; we as a patriarchal culture are obsessed with keeping hair on men (facial hair, Hair Club for Men, hair plugs, whatever) and keeping it off women. You say hair on women is nasty; why is it only hair on women? Women and men have the same pubic hair. We all grow it out of our follicles for the same reason. Why is it only gross on women?
- women’s bodies have been considered the property of men since the dawn of time, and therefore we have been held to a standard of beauty and attractiveness that is not determined by us but is instead determined by something called the male gaze, which is erases all sexualities and genders other than cisgender heterosexual men and assumes that women are performing for it.
- childlike women are considered less “threatening” and more “feminine” because they are naive, quiet, and rely on ~*adult men*~ to take care of them.
- there is a fallacy about pubic hair that it is dirty. It is not dirty. In fact, it’s there to keep your genitals cleaner. Pubic hair and armpit hair are also there to spread your pheromones around and make it easier for you to attract a mate.
- all mammals have hair. We’re mammals.
- No one else’s body is your business. Ever. You want to shave? Go ahead! That’s totally your prerogative and if you’re more comfortable shaving, feel free. But given that pubic hair isn’t innately dirty, there’s no reason for anyone to remove it if they don’t want to.
You’re not sending out some edgy, hardcore message here. You’re just reinforcing what our culture wants you to reinforce. Before you pick up that razor again, think about why you want to shave. Is it just because our culture told you to? Why’d they tell you to? What’s the point?
Do what makes you comfortable and what makes you happy, and let others do the same.
Fuck a colonized mind.
DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO
What this showcases (in a way that was probably not intentional) is that femininity isn’t a thing you are; it’s not defined as ‘like a woman’. Femininity is a thing you do. It’s a set of performed actions and behaviors that a person can take or not take as they choose, following a script written by their society.
Take this quote from the lovely Twisty Faster*:
Femininity, in fact, can’t even be practiced without stuff (which is one way of debunking the argument that it is an inherited sex trait). It is simply not possible for a woman without makeup and deodorant and lingerie and kitten heels and diet pills and clothes without pockets and anti-wrinkle cream that promises “glowing skin” and self-help books explaining the best ways to suck up to men and jewelry and razors and tweezers and lemon-scented cleaning products and boxes of Lean Cuisine in the freezer — all stuff that must be bought — to be fully feminine.
Check out this article about the importance of both performing femininity correctly and making sure that no one knows that you’re making an effort at doing so.
See, a woman who doesn’t shave DESTROYS ALL SOCIETY because she is a reminder that other women -do-. That hairlessness is not the default state for women.
*Worth noting at this time that I do not concur with Twisty’s stance that doing femninity, ever, is antifeminist. That’s some hardcore internalized femmephobia she’s got going on, there. I quote her here because she illustrates very well in the above quote that femininity is a set of actions, behaviors, sartorial choices, etc, not because I think she’s an unflawed person.
A grown human being isn’t ‘meant’ to have any particular anatomy or features. That would imply the intent of some outside force. You have a body, and it’s yours, and you should be able modify it as you damn well choose without having to take shit for it from anyone.
A lot of anti-choice fucks like to talk about “Oh, abortion isn’t NATURAL!” or “It doesn’t happen in nature!” Aside from the glaringly obvious miscarriage….
The male pipefish will abort based on the female’s level of attractiveness.
Bison abort their young due to exposure to brucellosis.
Rabbits will reabsorb their fetuses if food is scarce or they are in a high stress environment.
Fetal resorption was a symptom of vitamin E deficiency in rats, mice, guinea pigs, cows, pigs, sheep, and chickens.
Fetal resorption in dogs for reasons such as inadequate progesterone levels in the bitch, maternal infectious disease (such as brucellosis and canine herpesvirus), endometrial disorders, developmental defects in the fetus.
Bears: If the sow is not in peak condition at the onset of hibernation, her body will reabsorb the embryo and not give birth that year.
There’s way more but here’s a few examples, so suck it.
This is so relevant.