Where is the lie?
If I were the president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United States in a few days. Permanently. I would first apologize – very publicly and very sincerely – to all the widows and the orphans, the impoverished and the tortured, and all the many millions of other victims of American imperialism. I would then announce that America’s global interventions – including the awful bombings – have come to an end. And I would inform Israel that it is no longer the 51st state of the union but – oddly enough – a foreign country. I would then reduce the military budget by at least 90% and use the savings to pay reparations to the victims and repair the damage from the many American bombings and invasions. There would be more than enough money. Do you know what one year of the US military budget is equal to? One year. It’s equal to more than $20,000 per hour for every hour since Jesus Christ was born.
That’s what I’d do on my first three days in the White House. On the fourth day, I’d be assassinated."
Resentment of the Day: Boston Marathon Bomber to Be Featured on Rolling Stone’s Cover
Yesterday, Rolling Stone revealed that Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will grace the cover of their upcoming August 1st issue. The announcement was immediately met by backlash from Facebook and Twitter, including a campaign to unsubscribe from the magazine and a boycott against buying or selling the issue.
In response to the public outrage, Rolling Stone issued a statement today arguing that they are genuinely trying to investigate why a young man, the same age as many of their readers, would commit such a crime. Meanwhile, Boston mayor Thomas Menino criticized the editorial decision in an open letter via Boston Herald, asserting that the magazine “reward[ed] a terrorist with celebrity treatment” instead of honoring victims, survivors and first responders.
Well, people get it. AMERICA STOP GLAMOURISING ASSHOLES LIKE THIS GUY.
I actually would like to read this issue.
THIS IS WHITE(PASSING) PRIVILEGE
THIS IS MALE PRIVILEGE
THIS IS IT.
DO YOU ALL FUCKING SEE NOW
A YOUNG, “NORMAL” WHITE-PASSING MALE SETS OFF BOMBS IN A LARGE CITY AND THIS TERRORIST IS HONORED LIKE A ROCK STAR
LOOK AT HOW THE HUMANIZE HIM
"failed by family"
"fell into radical islam"
"became a monster"
THEY’RE LITERALLY MAKING HIM SOUND LIKE A FUCKING VICTIM
white folks this is why poc hate you
Top Ten differences between White Terrorists and Others
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen”. What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners”. Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe”. Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white”. But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists.
Generally, I avoid posting other people’s work in its entirety, but this is short and it’s hard to know where to cut.
Juan Cole is, as always, very astute!
”I was going to post something that would tell you the difference between Hindus and Sikhs and Muslims, but then I realized that you don’t need to know anything about somebody’s religion to know that you shouldn’t shoot them.” — Eric Parsons
- Black folk kills some people.
- Society: Criminal.
- Muslim folk kills some people.
- Society: Terrorist.
- Latino folk kills some people.
- Society: Criminal.
- White folk kills some people.
- Society: Mental illness. (lost soul, complicated psyche, quiet loner, misunderstood, frustrated with life, experienced recent, traumatic, life-altering events that set hir off; not to mention all the positive descriptors that are attached to hir, i.e. intelligent, PhD candidate, honor roll student, etc.)
Sorry. That’s what they are. When you threaten people, try to prevent access to clinics, fire-bomb clinics, threaten doctors, release their personal information, and in some cases kill them, that is terrorism.
I’m sorry that society at large in the US doesn’t want to call it what it is because of it’s affiliation with Christianity and its pretty name, but when you support pro-life activists, you are supporting domestic terrorism.
This is one of the saddest things I have ever read. It sickens me how little my government cares about the lives of others.
This “us vs. them” thing has gotten really old. When will everyone realize it’s just an “us” ? Those are our children we let be massacred.