Signal boosting for all fellow pet owners. This is not okay.
I’ve seen this circulating, some people using it as a form of selected fact finding to completely debunk veganism as a whole, and I just wanted to point out some things.
Almost every vegan cat owner I know feeds their cats regular cat food. They know they just gotta do what they can to keep their kitty healthy. Even though there is vegan cat food available to meet every dietary requirement for cats, and even though cats on a vegan diet is possible, no living creature can live off potatoes, rice milk and pasta alone. That’s not even a stable human diet. This cat didn’t nearly die because it’s owners were vegan, it nearly died because it’s owners were fucking stupid.
Actually it is NOT possible for a cat to live on a vegan diet and be healthy. I am a vegan but I would NEVER feed my cat a vegan diet for the following reasons:
Any vegetarian or vegan who has a cat, at some stage thought about feeding it vegetarian diet. Out of all the domestic animals cats are unique. A study by the National Cancer Institute suggests that all current domestic cats in the world are descendants from a group of self-domesticated wildcats 10,000 years ago. In fact there’s still no conclusive evidence that domestic cats should be classified as a separate species.
Being a true carnivore a cat (domestic or wild) subsists on a diet consisting primarily of meat. In its natural state the cat will hunt and provide for itself at every opportunity. A wild cat eats all of its prey including hair, skin, flesh, bones and internal organs. Cats are very unlikely to give up meat voluntarily. If you intentionally feed cat vegetarian diet, it will look for meat somewhere else. Many cats will hunt and kill mice, rabbits and birds. Certainly they will consume other foods as well, especially of animal origin. However as these are not important in their diet, cats will eat them only in small quantities and not on a regular basis.
Cats lack the physiology to properly digest vegetation. It’s no coincidence that a cat eats grass to induce vomiting to get rid of the hair collected in its stomach. The cat’s digestive system cannot convert plant based nutrients in to the form that its body can utilize. That’s why cat are are called strict carnivores, as they need to take the active form of the nutrients from other animals, who do the conversion beforehand.
Here’s 7 most important nutrients that your cat is unable to get from a vegetarian diet:
- Taurine is an amino acid essential for cats as unlike other mammals, cats cannot synthesize it. In the absence of taurine, a cat’s retina slowly degenerates and the cat suffers eye problems and can become irreversibly blind. This condition is called central retinal degeneration (CRD). Cow’s milk is a poor source of taurine and there is none in plant foods. The only rich source is meat.
- Arachidonic acid is one of the essential fatty acids. Dogs and humans can convert linoleic acid found in vegetable fats into arachidonic acid. Cats are unable to do that, as their liver doesn’t contain delta-6-desaturase enzyme (no kidding!). Cats need arachidonic acid to be able to produce an inflammatory response so that the body can protect itself in case of disease. Arachidonic acid also helps control skin growth and is necessary for proper blood clotting, proper functioning of the reproductive and gastrointestinal systems. Animal fat is the only major source of arachidonic acid, very small amount can be found in eggs and milk. Arachidonic acid deficiency takes some time to develop but its effect on the cat is profound.
- Vitamin A found in vegetables (carotenoid) cannot be converted by cats in to the active form of vitamin A (retinol). As cats do not have the necessary enzyme to do the conversion they have to hunt other animals that have done it for them (mice, rabbits). There are sufficient quantities of retinol in meat and very small amounts in eggs and milk. Liver is the richest source of preformed Vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency in cats can cause night blindness, retarded growth, and poor-quality skin and fur.
- Vitamin B12 is another vitamin that cannot be synthesized by cats. Vitamin B12 is present only in animal products.
- Niacin can be synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan by many mammals but not cats. Meat is the best source of niacin. Insignificant amounts of niacin can be found in milk and eggs. Lack of niacin in cat’s diet can cause loss of appetite, loss of weight, inflamed gums, and hemorrhagic diarrhea.
- Thiamin (vitamin B1) has an important role in carbohydrate metabolism. Cats are very susceptible to deficiency of this vitamin. Thiamin is rapidly destroyed by heat, that’s why only raw meat is the only good source of this nutrient. Very small amount can be obtained from eggs and dairy. Thiamin deficiency in cats can lead to anorexia, ataxia, paralysis and finally permanent brain damage.
- Protein is required by cats in large amounts. Over 30% of a cat’s diet should consist of protein and this can be a problem on a vegetarian diet.
For all these reasons cats must not be fed vegetarian or vegan diet. Cats have very specific nutritional needs which you must meet if you want to keep them fit, healthy, and happy.
- Getting rid of food deserts and making veganism more affordable for poor people
- Advocating for better working conditions for migrant workers and making their fruits and vegetables “cruelty free”
- Protesting and reforming the meat industry to keep it from harming workers and being less dangerous for consumtion
- Making organic food more affordable
- Giving grants to start vegan restaurants, soup kitchens, etc.
- Educating people on the nutrition of plants so people understand how to go vegan with their individual nutritional needs
- Funding community gardens
- Funding no-kill shelters (in fact, PETA is against no-kill shelters)
Things PETA is doing:
- degrading women and people of color
- renaming fish “sea kittens”
- throwing a hissy fit over Pokemon
You just don’t understand why people hate on vegans so much.
Is it really a bad thing that we care about animals, humans, and the planet all at the same time?
I can think of several reasons why people hate vegans off the top of my head:
- Their ignorance of the fact that vegan food is picked by dirt-poor people in horrible working conditions - many of which are people of color and/or children - and thus is not cruelty-free at all. Way to care more about animals than people and nice implicit racism, there.
- Their ignorance of the fact that not everyone can afford vegan food because that shit is expensive - my mother makes and sends up Morningstar meat for me from Georgia, and she has to buy it in bulk weeks in advance when it’s on sale and freeze it because it’s too pricey normally. Food deserts exist. It’s a privilege to be able to afford these things. There’s several posts on this vegan blog about how hard vegan products are to find, ironically - but what poor person has the transportation to bypass multiple grocery stores in search of these things? Or who has the energy to after working all day at a minimum wage job to do more than boil a couple hodogs or buy some KFC and call it a damn day? Have some classism.
- Ignoring that some people simply cannot maintain a vegan diet for whatever health or dietary reasons. There are medical conditions that make being vegan highly difficult if not impossible depending on what the body needs. So we can tally up a serving of body-shaming, concern trolling, and ableism with your assumptions that you know better than people what their bodies need.
- The raging racism in constant comparisons of eating meat to either the Holocaust or slavery. I shouldn’t even need to explain why it’s dehumanizing to compare people to animals period let alone mass genocide and centuries of oppression, violence, murder, kidnapping, lynching, rape, and abuse - the repercussions of which we’re still dealing with today - to having a cheeseburger. Stop.
- Just plain not being able to shut the fuck up about it. We have sexism/racism/heterosexism/cissexism/ableism other shit to deal with - stuff that affects, you know, people - to give a shit about your damn diet. The sad thing is that you could actually be doing something useful with your food beliefs - like focusing your attention on the industries themselves that perpetuate animal cruelty or at the people who market their vegan food at such high and inaccessible prices.
Instead of combating either institutional issues with food production or changing the shitty ways you discuss/advocate for veganism, you act like you’re morally superior and judge the fuck out of people.
And that’s why everyone hates you.
is that there are countless immoral industries
- Precious metals
- Cheap labour making pretty much all goods
and yet they behave as though the only way to be moral is to remove all animal products from your diet. We do what we can where we can, by shopping responsibly, but it’s impossible to completely rid your life of products that did not cause someone or something harm somewhere down the line. The computers, gas, clothing you use and buy every day contribute to these inhumane and immoral industries and if you want to pretend that the animal industry is the only one that does any harm and therefore you are somehow morally superior then be my guest. Meanwhile the rest of us will look at humanity and society as a whole and try to fix the bigger picture. Not just our diets.
We’ve all heard them. And despite explaining why they are fallacious more times than I can count, they keep being used. Well, instead of explaining why yet again, let’s take a look at some of the implications behind some common “reasons” why someone cannot go vegan.
“I can’t afford to go vegan.”
- I can’t afford to stop taking food off a starving person’s plate
- I can’t afford to keep buying most of the same things I already buy like frozen veggies, pasta, beans, and tomato sauce
- I can’t afford to improve my health and take less medicine and make fewer doctor’s visits
“My health problems keep me from being vegan.”
- My health problems keep me from adopting the diet nature intended me to have
- My health problems keep me from cutting out something that is detrimental to my overall well-being.
- I’m too lazy to do some research into constructing a vegan diet that would cater to my health rather than harm it.
“Humans are natural omnivores.”
- The fact that we CAN do something, like eat meat, clearly means we should.
- I prefer to ignore years of scientific research, as well as obvious differences between humans and natural omnivores, so I can go on with my life blissfully living a lie.
“A vegan diet is a first-world privilege.”
- Cutting out something that requires more time, money, and effort to produce than basic plant food and also takes food away from other people is a first world privilege.
- Living off only what your body needs is a first world privilege.
- Doing what people in third world countries have been doing for years because they don’t have the money or means to eat animal products is a first world privilege.
“Every vegan I’ve ever met has been (unhealthy, sick, mean, militant, etc.).”
- All vegans are exactly alike.
- I’m ignoring the fact that I have control of my own health and the ability to be my own person so I won’t have to change what I’m used to doing.
“Meat/milk/eggs/etc. taste too good.”
- My taste buds take priority over someone else’s life.
why the hell would i hate someone for what they eat? you wanna be vegan? great! thats yr call!
just keep in mind, yr diet does not a perfect person make.
I love it so much.
So I’m gonna get real specific for these coddled asses. When I vent about white people, I’m talking about DAILY fucking doses of:
1. White tumblr users who mock and bitch about “SJ bloggers” at every fucking turn. Oh, we’re just a bunch of keyboard warriors who don’t do anything in real life? I’m sorry, let me just turn off my computer and see if black people stop getting shot and brutalized by white people, if brown people stop getting bombed, if Indigenous peoples stop having genocidal atrocities perpetuated against them, and if women of colour stop getting shat on from all corners of the earth.
Well, look at that. Systemic oppressions still exist and mainstream media parrots the same feel-good white shit. We don’t get to pick and choose if we’re affected by “social justice” based on the contents of our blog. Our whole entire fucking lives revolve around trying to ward off the disease that is whiteness, whether we blog about cats or porn or racism. Feel free to go play on a slip-and-slide lined with broken glass, ya ignorant asstrumpet.
2. White expats/tourists who go to majority-PoC countries and think that their ability to “navigate” the culture excuses every colonial/imperialistic blight they’ve introduced to humanity and deprives them of their global white privilege. You spent centuries trying to stomp us out of existence, but now our clothes, food, customs, innovations, and languages are up for grabs and you get to decide if they’re cool or barbaric. You’re engaging in the same cultural appropriation as any other white asshole, but taking it a step further overseas.
And if foreigners ever dare to be “uppity” to you, that’s totally like REVERSE RACISM although that entire country will likely turn themselves inside fucking out if a white foreigner ever gets lost/hurt/killed, which is a privilege not afforded to the average PoC (see Lucie Blackman, Natalee Holloway, Madeleine McCann, Meredith Kercher, Taylor Anderson et al). So fuck you entitled expats. I hope the next time you decide to use us as another notch in your colonial sightseeing belt, I hope it turns into a season of Lost and you all get stranded except you have to eat each other to survive.
3. White identity-policing nationalists (often armed with white-defending PoC who are ready to shit on us on command), waxing white poetic about how like how diasporic PoC aren’t really [insert ethnicity] by the virtue of being of ~tainted~ diasporic stock. Or if we can’t maintain perfect bilingualism while eating an ice cream cone upside down while dancing on one foot and meet XYZ criteria, we’re not [insert ethnicity]. But at the same time, we will never be true Americans/Canadians/Australians/Brits/etc. Because whiteness dictates that we discard hundreds and thousands of years of our heritage for the sake of assimilation while still being marked as non-citizens in the countries that exploited everything we had to give (everything from backbreaking labour to our own children ripped out of our cold, dead hands). Motherfucking colonial logic.
4. White anti-choicers who don’t know when to shut the entire fuck up about vaginas and uteruses they don’t own, who think active sex lives are a greater sin than state-sanctioned abuse and poverty, but huddle en masse under an invisibility cloak when actual women & children need help. Typical slutshaming deadbeats who bleat on about personal responsibility, yet won’t acknowledge the damage they do by voting in legislation that cuts access to contraceptives, sex education, child care, or any form of social assistance. And in all my years of challenging their malicious propaganda, I rarely found a non-white anti-choice face in sight. Conversely, I was into pro-choice advocacy long before I found any anti-racist spaces online, but it led me to a lot of great WoC. You know who you are. ;)
5. White vegans who are mostly in their teens and early 20s and have never had to think about feeding a young family, who think everyone has the same health conditions, resources, opportunities, and cultural traditions, who think animals deserve to be treated better than PoC, who then compare racism to animal cruelty as if PoC have never been treated worse than animals, and who make it a point to antagonize everyone from Native Americans to rape victims to fat people to diabetic folks. After all your vicious trolling, you shouldn’t be too mad when people tell you to drink bleach. That’s vegan, right?
6. White artists who think their pretentious ~artistic integrity~ (as in every kid with photoshop and a tablet is an artist, lolol) is more important than not being a racist douchefuck. And when all fails, you blame whitewashing on “lighting” or the unwashed masses not understanding ~your craft~. Same goes for certain tattoos, body mods, hairstyles, or anything of PoC origins that gets snatched up by white vultures. White privilege is having anything that is on/from your body being lauded for “art” no matter how fucking unhygienic or gross it is.
7. White LGBT folks who silence and drown out PoC/WoC in their communities, then have the nerve to co-opt racism and the civil rights movement to say how homophobia is so much worse than anything EVER. Nine same-sex couples featured on the cover of Seattle Weekly, but not one fucking peep about how at least six pairs are men and ALL of them are white/lightskinned PoC. But white dudes aren’t in it for themselves at all!!11
8. White derailers who think it’s their godgiven right to invade and colonize every fucking conversation we have about our own experiences, like the “dear white people” movie and the post about PoC-themed birthday parties that made every other whitey come out of the woodwork to cry about how hard it is to be white. You’re right, I can’t imagine what it’s like to own most of the world’s wealth and have everyone conform to whiter-than-white standards of communication, aesthetics, historical truthfulness, etc. while using most of its resources like a bloated parasite. Poor you!
9. White feminists who often incorporate all of the fucking above, as terrifying as it is. Because as much as they looove talking about their vegan shit and dreadlocks and slutwalks and pagan goodness and everything else they’ve stolen, appropriated, or hijacked, the only women in the world are white cis women.
10. And you think you have it so fucking hard because someone called you a cracker. Stop the presses, someone referenced the fact that white people built their prosperity on the blood and bones of Indigenous/Black/Latin@/Asian peoples while CRACKING A FUCKING WHIP.
When we say that we hate whiteness, it doesn’t mean that we hate you for having sensitive skin (stop talking about your sunburns, no1curr about the SPF in your fucking Coppertone), recessive traits, or how you think your awkwardness is endearing. It means we hate the system created by white folks that destabilized entire countries, changed the entire composition of ethnic groups via slavery/genocide/expulsion, and determined geopolitical borders in almost every continent according to what YOU wanted. Instead of admitting “well, our ancestors royally screwed over most of the world aside from that stretch of land inhabited by penguins, maybe we should try to remedy that,” you act like you had nothing to do with the previous generations’ atrocities while still benefiting from everything they did. White people’s greed and their shameless lack of accountability have literally killed hundreds of millions of PoC around the world so that YOU could thrive, and the best you can do is shrug and say “wasn’t me personally.” That is why you are a disease in every sense of the word.
Nuanced enough for you?
This was hard for me to read, but that’s the way it should be. Being shown your own privilege is not supposed to be a comfortable experience: it should be a slap in the face, a douse of icy water; a dose of harsh reality. Thanks to the OP for this post, it is brilliant in every way.
aang was a vegetarian, but did u see him judging his friends on what they ate?? no
be more like the avatar
Feeding a cat a proper meat diet is animal cruelty to the animals that died to make that meat exist
but feeding a cat a vegan diet is also animal cruelty because cats are inherently carnivorous animals and cannot be healthy without meat
I hope everybody knows by now that PETA is an awful bunch of people, but I thought I’d collect some of the reasons together for anyone who doesn’t.
- PETA has a long history of horribly, disturbingly sexist advertisements (warning: that link is disturbing, seriously).
- PETA also has a history of racist jackassery like wearing klan hoods to the Westminster Dog Show and comparing it to the Holocaust. They also put up billboards in Washington D.C. comparing animal cruelty to human slavery and specifically the American enslavement of Africans.
- This one deserves its own bullet point - they actually sued Sea World under the 13th Amendment. The one that outlawed slavery in the U.S. Yeah. They did that.
- And let’s not forget the whole “Holocaust On Your Plate” ad campaign.
- PETA also loooooooooooves fat-shaming. Example - this recent billboard featuring a…meat pie coffin? I think? Suggesting that eating animals makes you (horrors!) fat and also kills you? So go vegan? Bonus offensiveness: they put this up next to a mortuary. See also this whole ad campaign centered on fat-shaming.
- Another recent advertisement claimed that going vegan will send your sex drive into overdrive and you’ll be so potent you’ll actually injure your girlfriend and leave her limping and wearing a neck brace which is awesome and hilarious. I wish I was exaggerating but I’m totally not.
- When a grisly killing spree in Vancouver left 15 women dead, PETA tried to purchase full-page ads in local papers suggesting that this carnage was no worse than the killing of animals for food.
- PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk opposes the use of Seeing Eye dogs and has had at least one dog taken away from its blind owner.
- PETA protests public shelters that euthanize animals, but their own shelter euthanizes most of the animals they take in. Not some. Most.
- PETA is actually right now trying to fight No-Kill legislation in Virginia, because it would prevent their shelter from euthanizing animals.
- PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. PETA paid $70,200 to Rodney Coronado, an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) serial arsonist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory.
- During the past ten years, PETA has spent four times as much on criminals and their legal defense than it has on shelters, spay-neuter programs, and other efforts that actually help animals.
- Right here, from the actual PETA website, is their stance on extremist animal liberation groups that commit arson and violently harass medical researchers: Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law in order to fight injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are both examples of people breaking the law in order to combat injustice…Anyone can be an activist. It does not take any special skills or superhuman abilities. You just need to care enough about animals to want to help them.”
- Person: Animal abuse is wrong! Harming an animal is wrong! Animals have feelings too!
- Person: -Eats a hamburger-
- Me: No contradiction there. Vegetarians and vegans aren't the only ones who can support the ethical treatment of livestock.
Sometimes its really hard to be a vegan.
Like, for example, when other vegans flaunt their privilege all over the place and refuse to recognize it. Or when they assert their own unquestionable moral superiority and try to shame non-vegans. Or when they compare the conditions of factory farms to the rape and murder of human women.
That stuff makes it really hard for me to want to call myself a vegan, or defend veganism.
Because, you see, the thing is veganism can be a big commitment. You really should understand this. It takes a lot of time and effort and often a lot of money. Some people cannot feasibly adhere to a vegan diet for any number of reasons. Other people simply choose to send their energies fighting other battles. Both of these things are perfectly okay. There are many good people who are not vegan, and there are many vegans who are not good people. You do not have the right to tell other people what they should/should not eat, it is none of your business. Yes, factory farms are bad and they do bad things. They are not, however, responsible for the very real rape and murder of human women and girls that occurs everyday. So let’s never compare these two things again and while we’re at it why don’t we also stop exploiting the suffering of women to give arguments emotional impact?
Yes, wonderful, good. I’m glad we had this talk.
All of these things.
OP, I love you.
THIS IS EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER WANTED TO READ EVER.
- having an eating disorder is a completely legitimate reason for not being vegetarian/vegan
- wanting to eat meat is a completely legitimate reason for not being vegetarian/vegan
- eating meat does not make you a bad person
- human ancestors evolved large brains by adding meat to their diets
- we humans today would not be nearly as intelligent had our ancestors suck with a plant-based diet
- if you’re trying to tell other people how to eat, or what they should or should not be eating:
Tell PETA Violence Against Women is Never Okay.
PETA launched a new campaign encouraging people to go Vegan by promoting violence against women. Violence in any form is never okay.
In its latest ploy to correlate being vegan with sex, PETA has over stepped every line in a campaign that would make anyone cringe. The campaign is called: BWVAKTBOOM: “Boyfriend Went Vegan and Knocked the Bottom out of Me.” Appropriately titled for a series of advertisements that not only display [without any trigger warnings], but highlight and romanticize sexual violence against women. In its latest ad, PETA portrays a disheveled and physically & sexually battered woman who is the “latest victim” of a boyfriend who went vegan and then “knocked the bottom out of her”. She is seen with bruises all over her body and even has to wear a neck-brace.
PETA further proves its ignorance around violence against women by boasting a new website for the BWVAKTBOOM campaign where videos can be readily viewed, and there is a [intended-to-be] humorous “call” to prevent BWVAKTBOOM-related injuries. Violent messages are sent, such as:
“For years, women have been open to the physical, emotional, and karmic benefits of veganism. But now, more and more men are discovering the perks of a plant-based diet. More specifically, a dramatic increase in their wang power and sexual stamina.
Unfortunately, the consequences of all this mind-blowing intercourse can often lead to sex injuries such as whiplash, pulled muscles, rug burn, and even a dislocated hip.”
PETA has clearly overlooked any regard for survivors of sexual and domestic violence in this new campaign, while making a mockery out of the seriousness of violence against women.
In taking a stand that there is NEVER an excuse to promote or diminish the real-life impact of violence, I demand the full termination of the BWVAKTBOOM campaign.